Halton Healthcare Services
Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) is a multi-site healthcare organization including the Georgetown Hospital (GH), Milton District Hospital (MDH) and Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH). We have advised HHS and its predecessor organizations for over 60 years including providing strategic, operational, and facility planning services.
In 2001, we advised HHS that they should redevelop OTMH on a new site rather than renovating/expanding on the existing site. Over the following 10 years we played a vital role in achieving approval for a new hospital on a new site by:
- Assessing current facilities, documenting deficiencies and projecting future requirements
- Comparing the capital, operational and transitional costs, and identifying qualitative considerations of various options
- Developing a functional program for the New Oakville Hospital, outlining for each department the scope of services, operational processes, activity and staffing projections, considerations for space and design, space allocation and equipment requirements
- Facilitating Board and senior management decisions and providing ongoing advice
- Incorporating Agnew Peckham’s:
- Facility planning principles and space guidelines
- Patient and family-centred components
- LEAN principles to ensure effective patient, materials and staff flow
- Operational and clinical service optimization principles
- Flexibility and adaptability principles for changes in service delivery
- Developing project-specific output specifications to guide design development within an AFP model
- Providing advice regarding the design and working collaboratively with HHS’s planning team and architects, to ensure the drawings reflected the intent of the functional program.
The outcome of our collaboration resulted in one of the most contemporary hospitals in North America today.
We have also assessed the MDH and GH facilities and identified future requirements (master program). We previously developed functional programs, created a Stage 1 Proposal submission and provided integrated planning services, advice and analysis to achieve approval for expansion and redevelopment.